Venerable German watch manufacture A. Lange & Sohne debuted three new watches for 2012 at the SIHH show in Geneva last week. I showed you the new Lange Datograph Ab/Auf (Power Reserve) piece already, so now let’s look at the new Grande Lange 1. For 2012 A. Lange has retained the key elements of the Grand Lange 1 while at the same time freshening up the overall look. Starting with a a new movement – the Lange Calibre L095.1 — the thickness of the Grande Lange 1 has been reduced to 8mm, vs. 11mm previously; as well, a single, thinner mainspring has replaced a twin barrel configuration. What I like most is that the new dial has a larger date window and no overlap of sub-dials — this gives the watch a superbly clean look. The A. Lange & Sohne Grande Lange 1 will be available in yellow (Ref. 117.021) and pink gold (Ref. 117.032) at 31,000 euros (approx. US$39,600) and platinum (Ref. 117.025) for 47,000 euros (approx US$60,000). I am partial to the beautiful pink-gold case.
A. Lange & Sohne Grande Lange 1
40.9mm case (8.8mm thick), hand-wound Lange Calibre L095.1 (72 hrs power reserve), “big date”, fitted on croc strap
A. Lange’s even bigger “big date” window:

by Kyle Stults
SIHH | Perpetuelle.com Watch Blog